Domain name registration with NameCheap is simple and straightforward. You can transfer your domain name with the help of our easy-to-use domain transfer process.
There are a few steps you need to take to complete the transfer, and we have provided all the information you need to get started.
What is a domain transfer?
Domain transfer is the process of moving your domain name to another provider. When you initiate a domain transfer, the new provider takes over your current registration and hosting services.
This means that your old website and all of its content will still be accessible, as long as you maintain your current DNS settings. You will also likely receive new features and hosting from the new provider.
But why would you consider moving your domain name to a different registrar?
- Save money on domain registration fees: If your current registrar is charging exorbitant prices, you are free to move to somewhere you will get value.
- More customer support options: Most people move because they cannot get the support they deserve
- Improved account management tools: this is critical because the last thing you want is to obsess about how to manage your domain. If there is somewhere you can do that easily, most people would prefer to move.
- Better renewal discounts: When you register a domain name, in most cases, the price is discounted. But wait until it is time to renew. Most people decide to move their domain to providers that offer reasonable renewal fees.
- More value-added features: All users want is a provider that makes their lives easier. If there is someone offering better features, most bloggers opt to move.
Whichever your reasons to transfer a domain, you deserve the best.
That said, here is how to transfer a domain to Namecheap:
1). Verify that your domain is eligible for transfer
Before you start the transfer process, you need to understand that Namecheap only allows the transfer of certain domains.
- All gTLDs such as .COM / .NET / .ORG etc
- New gTLDs such as .BID / .CLUB / .TRADE / .TECH etc
- Some ccTLDs (.TV / .ME / .CO etc
As such, make sure your domain is on the allowed list.
Additionally, the domain you’d wish to transfer must have been registered within the last 60 days.
At the same time, make sure the domain name is ‘unlocked.’ This means that you have removed the Registrar lock you may have set for added security.
Finally, request the EPP code from your current registrar. You won’t be able to transfer your domain without this code, so make sure you have it.
This code helps protect your domain from unauthorized transfer.
Sometimes, you can generate the EPP code directly inside your clientarea. But if you can’t find that option, go ahead and talk to the support team.
2). Submit your transfer through your Namecheap account
The next step is to submit the transfer request inside your Namecheap account.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Click Domains from the top menu and select Transfer;
- Enter your domain name, then click ‘Transfer’;
- On the next page, verify whether the domain is fully ready for transfer and enter the EPP code in the respective field;
- Click the black ‘Add to Cart’ button, then click the red ‘View Cart’ button to the right of the page;
- If you have a coupon code, enter it in the ‘Promo Code’ field, then click ‘Apply’;
- Click ‘Confirm Order’ and proceed with the checkout.
Once that’s done, the transfer is initiated from the Registry level. This process may take between 5-7 days, depending on how cooperative your current registrar is.
What happens next?
When the transfer is over, you will receive a corresponding notification to the email address associated with your Namecheap account.
And depending on a TLD, the domain will be renewed for one year and its status will automatically be set to ‘clientTransferProhibited’ (that is, the transfer Lock will be enabled).
Namecheap Best Alternatives
While Namecheap is by no doubt, among the top domain registrars in the world, it is not all roses.
Take the domain name transfer, for example, they charge from $7.98 to transfer a .in domain for example.
While it is free to transfer a .co.uk domain, you still have to part with some cash just to move your domains.
Why would you pay when there are other top registrars that offer free transfers?
Yes, Truehost Cloud allows you to transfer a domain for free.
As if that’s not enough, we will also help throughout the process. Our support team is on standby 24/7 to offer a hand just in case proves thick for you.
Go ahead and transfer a domain to us now.